This Hearty Beef Soup is a family favorite! The depth of flavor results from mushrooms and browned beef shanks, in addition to the stew meat. If you are looking for a hearty, nourishing, and delicious soup, then this is your recipe!
Is it cool where you are? If so, this Hearty Beef Soup needs to be on your menu and in your tummy! I have a hard time making and serving soups when it’s 95° and 95% humidity outside, but as soon as the cool and crisp weather of fall arrives, you can find soup on our table at least once a week.
“Good soup is one of the prime ingredients of good living. For soup can do more to lift the spirits and stimulate the appetite than any other one dish.”
by Louis P. De Gouy
This nourishing hearty beef soup is full of the rich flavor that is often lacking when just using beef broth. Searing the stew meat as well as some beef shanks really ups the flavor and heartiness of this outstanding and nourishing beef soup. Adding dried porcini mushrooms gives it the earthiness that I look for in a bowl of beef soup.
I cut the stew meat into small, half-inch to one-inch pieces for two reasons: more surface area to sear thereby adding extra flavor and the smaller pieces ensure that they’ll cook enough to be tender.
- 2 1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1/2 to 1-inch pieces
- 2-3 pounds beef shanks, excess fat cut off
- 8 cups beef broth or water or a combination
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms, chopped by hand or in food processor
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1 cup kidney beans that have been soaked overnight.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil to brown meat
- Cooked barley, optional
- Heat oil in heavy pan, I used my large cast iron skillet.
- With heat at medium high to high, working in batches sear your cubes of stew meat until browned on all sides, adding oil as necessary.
- Put stew meat in your slowcooker or in a heavy pot if you are using your stove top.
- Adding oil if necessary, brown your shanks on all sides.
- Place shanks in slowcooker or pot
- Add remaining ingredients and cook in slowcooker on LOW for 8-9 hours or on the stovetop on simmer for 2-3 hours.
- If cooking on stovetop, you may need to add some additional liquid if it evaporates.
- If gluten is not an issue, add some to your soup as desired. I try to avoid unnecesarry gluten and it is plenty hearty without the barley.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1034Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 381mgSodium: 1916mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 6gSugar: 5gProtein: 151g
Serve this delicious, filling and nourishing hearty beef soup with a salad and bread (for the bread eaters out there) for a complete meal.
Bookmark this page or pin the following image to refer back to this recipe for Hearty Beef Soup.
Thanks again for spending a few minutes of your busy day with me today.
Please know that I welcome each and every comment that comes my way.