Sharing this recipe for maple bacon muffins with a brown sugar-bacon streusel.
We are still trying out recipes for our daughter’s graduation brunch party in June. We’ve got a couple of things nailed down; the bacon twizzlers are a must, as are chicken & waffle sliders and ham biscuits. Fruit salad, mini-bagels with cream cheese, and Carolina Blue Macaroons will make an appearance as well.
We are still figuring out what kind of frittata/quiche and muffins we will serve our guests. Last weekend we did some experimenting/cooking and came up with these Maple Bacon Muffins with a Brown Sugar-Bacon Streusel.
When we started planning this brunch party, I did some research on Maple Extracts as I figured it would figure into our party food somehow. In discussing what to do with the Maple Extract with the family, this youtube video from several years ago kept playing in my head…’bacon, the maple kind?’ So I went in that direction. In my rational mind, there has never been a bad bacon and maple combination, so I had nothing to lose.
These were what I had hoped they would be, not too sweet, but sweet enough with a little salty bite from the bacon. Making my mouth water remembering them.
For the muffins
- 1 ⁄2 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons maple extract
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup milk at room temperature
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 strips of cooked bacon, cut or crumbled into small (think chocolate chip size) bits
For the streusel topping
- 1/2 tsp maple extract
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 TB flour
- 4 slices bacon, torn in 1-2" pieces
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease your muffin tin or use liners
- Cream maple extract, brown sugar and butter, then add egg and milk.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture.
- Once combined, fold in bacon bits
- Fill each cup of a muffin tin 2/3 full.
- Make streusel topping by putting all streusel ingredients in a food processor and pulsing until combined and bacon has been chopped.
- Sprinkle streusel topping on top of each muffin
- Bake 15 minutes or until tester comes out clean
Please come visit again. The easiest and most convenient way is to sign up on our email list and whenever there is anything new, we’ll send Nourish and Nestle updates directly to your inbox.
Until next time,