Hello lovelies! I hope you are smack in the midst of a sunny and fun-filled summer, packed full with family and friend gatherings.
I’m curious if you have a recipe that’s your fallback for many of your gatherings and entertaining? One that never fails you? One that no matter how simple, you always get requests and you’re just a little embarrassed for your guests to know just how easy this recipe is?
Well…pressed sandwiches are one of my go-to recipes that checks all those boxes. I was given the original pressed sandwich from a friend of mine several years ago and now we do a couple of variations of the ‘pressed sandwich’ theme. Most recently this Pressed Mediterranean Vegetable Sandwich is one of our favorites!
And with ingredients such as Tapenade, Fresh Mozzarella, Roasted Eggplant, Roasted Red Bell Pepper and Basil, the Pressed Mediterranean Vegetable Sandwich is destined for greatness.
If you have a crowd to feed this is an easy main course dish that can be made ahead, making your ‘day of’ preparation as easy as slicing and serving.
- One loaf of ciabatta bread
- 6 oz black olive tapenade
- 10-12 ounces of fresh mozzarella, sliced into 8-10 slices
- 1 large or 2 medium eggplant
- 6-7 oz roasted red bell pepper
- 12-15 fresh large basil leaves, or to taste
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400'
- Slice eggplant, 1/2" think
- Place eggplant on baking sheet lined with parchment paper, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Roast for 25-30 minutes
To Assemble Sandwiches
- Slice ciabatta bread horizontally and lay open
- Layer eggplant, roasted pepper, basil and mozzarella on one side of bread
- Spread tapenande over all
- Drizzle with Olive OIl, Salt and Pepper
- Place top of bread back on loaf.
- Wrap with plastic wrap.
- Place on tray and put another tray on top.
- Place a heavy item (think cast iron skillet) on top of tray to compress and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator and slice before serving.
I find an electric knife makes cutting the slices so very easy.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pressed Mediterranean Vegetable Sandwich
This quick little video shows the assembly of the sandwich, set to music no less because it’s always better to make a sandwich with jaunty music!
What are some of your go-to recipes for entertaining or gatherings of friends and family? I am always collecting recipes and would love to add some of yours to my collection.
Thanks again for stopping by today. I really do appreciate your company more than you’ll ever know and hope you’ll stop by again soon. If you want to make sure you don’t miss future content, pop your email in the beige box up on the right. I usually send out 2-3 emails a week, so I won’t inundate your inbox.
Right now, subscribers to Nourish and Nestle will receive a free, downloadable Measuring Equivalents Chart overlaid on a watercolor lemon. You can see it here. Sign up to our email list (on my right sidebar) and we’ll send it to your inbox within 24 hours! If you are already a subscriber and would like a lemon measuring equivalents chart, send us an email with ‘lemon chart’ in the subject line and we’ll send you one too!