Five Tips Friday #5 : 5 Lifehacks or Tips
Well, we’ve made it to the end of another week and to the beginning of a new month! Why, Hello there November…where’d you come from? We are entering the busy but joyful marathon that is November and December. Yikes! Have you started laying your plans?
Welcome back for another installment of Five Tips Friday… more easy life hacks and great ideas with the hopes that a few of them might make your world a little simpler.
And since I’m a huge believer in crowdsourcing, if you have noodled a way to do something easier or cheaper…please consider passing it on. I’d love to incorporate tips from our readers into the Five Tips Friday list. Email your tips to [email protected]
So, if it…solves a problem, makes life easier, is a less expensive way to do something or saves you money…bring it!
Some of these are affiliate links and I will earn a small commission off of the sale of these products, but the price you are charged is not affected. You can see my full disclosure policy here.
5 Lifehacks or Tips:
1. If you want to have paperwhites for the holidays, now is the time to start thinking about forcing your paperwhite bulbs inside. Paperwhites will bloom about 4-6 weeks after starting the bulbs indoors, so plan your planting accordingly.
2. Use plastic containers to keep your refrigerator and freezer organized. Grouping like things together in a container makes it easier to find what you’re looking for in limited space. Also, always use square or rectangle versus round container…they are much more space-efficient.
3. Extend the life of your favorite jarred candles by melting down the wax that comes up the side of the jar.
I have found my most favorite scented candle in all the world and its name is Chesapeake Bay Candle Lavender & Fig. It’s not a cheap candle, so I am a bit sensitive about wasting any of its wonderfulness. When I saw that it had burned such that a good bit of the scented wax was left on the side of the candle, I knew I had to remedy the situation. (as an aside…not sure how that happened anyway!)
I placed the candle in a colander over simmering water until the wax melted from the side and settled back where it belongs…thereby extending the life of my candle. It may only burn an extra hour or so…but hey…that’s another hour of my favorite fragrance filling my home.
4. Maybe I’m way late to this show, but did you know that those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers are really kinda magic? Our home is on the market and I was running around touching up paint on the walls and trim (hello…18-year old boy) until our realtor told me to just get a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and rub the mark. No joke…90% of the time the dry eraser will get the mark out. If it doesn’t, get it damp and try again. I haven’t had it not work!
And as a plus, a damp Mr. Clean Magic Eraser was the only thing that I found that would clean the dirty leather seats in my car (hello…18-year old boy PLUS Golden Retriever). The leather cleaner I had been using didn’t really touch it. After I used the Magic Eraser I wiped the seats down well with water, dried them and then used the leather cleaner/conditioner.
5. With Thanksgiving less than 3 weeks away (DON’T PANIC! I’M NOT YELLING! WELL, MAYBE I AM!), time to get some of the preparations started. This turkey stock makes the BEST gravy…and if you have any leftover, add it to your Turkey Carcass soup too.
If you want to tuck these 5 Lifehacks or Tips away until you need them, make sure to bookmark this page or pin it for your future reference.
Oh, and don’t forget to send me your lifehack ideas! Send them to [email protected]
Many hugs my friends and wishes for a wonderful fall weekend.
Yes! Aren’t magic erasers incredible? They do work almost every time. I hadn’t thought to try them on leather but I will.
Absolutely! I think I was a little late to that party…but now that I know…I have stocked up on them.
Thanks for swinging by my friend.
I love the magic erasers, think I better go to the store and re-stock!
I bought a big container of generic ones and they seem to work just as well.
I especially liked the paper whites reminder and the eraser. Thank you so very much
Hey Sharon…so glad to provide that reminder to get your ‘paperwhite plan’ in motion. And those magic erasers are the bomb!
Thanks for swinging by my friend. have a great weekend.
I just got my Amazon order for Lavender & Fig oil diffuser. The scent is wonderful, so clean and light. I am not much of a candle burner, so I went with the diffuser. I will be enjoying it. Thanks for the tip.
Oh I am so jealous! I only light my candle sparingly…trying to make it last as long as possible. I am so glad you are enjoying the scent…isn’t it divine!
The diffuser is a great idea too…enjoy it my friend!
Have a lovely weekend.
Hi Lynn, love the Friday hacks!
Just a little aside re: the Magic erasers… I use them especially for wood work and cleaning baseboards… BUT have noticed when cleaning walls painted with semi-gloss paint, they remove the gloss and leave matte patches! Yikes! So my walls, where there is good lighting, look like they are mottled. I’ll have to live with it til the next paint job!