Simple ingredients come together easily to make this slightly tangy and slightly sweet homemade barbecue sauce.
You can use it to sauce up your pulled beef sandwiches or pulled pork sandwiches. Slather your ribs, chicken pieces, or shrimp with the bbq sauce before you grill them. Use it as the base for barbecue pizza. Truly, the opportunities to use this sauce are endless.
make this homemade barbecue sauce your own
This barbecue sauce is a basic recipe. You can make adjustments as needed.
- Adjust the heat by adding or keeping out the cayenne pepper.
- The bacon adds some smoky flavor, but you can increase the smoke by adding more liquid smoke if you like.
- Like my husband, if you are vinegar sensitive, start with half of the vinegar. If you like it tangier, increase it.
- 4 ounces of diced bacon
- 1 tablespoon oil (vegetable, canola, or olive)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup malt vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worchestershire sauce
- Up to 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- Saute bacon in oil until lightly browned.
- Add onion, garlic, cumin, and cayenne pepper and saute over medium heat until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and simmer until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
Pin this image or bookmark the following to refer back to this homemade barbecue sauce recipe in the future.
Thanks so much for spending a few minutes of your busy day with me!
If you want to ensure you don’t miss future content, pop your email in the pale green box on the right or click here. I usually send out one email weekly so that I won’t inundate your inbox. I’m sensitive to an overflowing email inbox!
We will only use your email address to send you emails, no more than 1-2 weekly. In addition, you will have access to my growing library of knit & crochet patterns, as well as other printables. Check back often as this library will continue to grow. Please know that you can unsubscribe anytime by emailing me or clicking on the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of all emails.
And you can access many of the products I refer to on my Nourish and Nestle Amazon Page. You can access it here.
So, if you’d like to get in on the ‘subscriber benefit’ action, simply subscribe to Nourish and Nestle here or use the form on the right sidebar. It’s towards the top a bit.
I have sent all my subscribers the link to the Subscriber Benefits Library. If you missed it or misplaced it, drop me a line.
Until next time…