I’ve got to be honest, my friends. It is hard to pop in every Monday all bright and chipper just days after another mass shooting in my country. I am heartbroken and at a loss for words that haven’t already been spoken. I just continue to pray that our leaders come together to find some common-sense solutions that address this ongoing tragedy.
At the same time, one of my goals with this blog is to be a soft landing space for my readers. An escape from the chaos of our world and, at times, our lives. So, with that goal, we will continue to press on in the same spirit of a ripple of water in a pond.
I hope you consider this blog a comforting hug and a warm cup of tea or coffee each Monday. And I hope that this hug and cup are just what you needed to face your day with a smile on your face. And I know that if you face your day with a smile on your face, your smile will put a smile on someone else’s face. And in that way, I hope that this post is a pebble that causes the ripples.
Today in the US, we celebrate Memorial Day
Memorial Day is the day we set aside to honor and remember our military members who have lost their lives defending our country. It is a day that also typically marks the beginning of summer in the US and is celebrated with picnics, barbecues, days at the beach, and family gatherings.
If you are looking for a quick treat to celebrate the day, these red, white, and blue cookies might be just what you need! And be sure to tuck the recipe away for the Fourth of July too!
New on the Blog
You might remember the survey a few months back concerning what you would like to see more of on the blog. One of the subjects that filtered to the top of the list was ‘more main dish recipes.’ With that in mind, I’ve got two new recipes for you!
- Chicken Curry Marinade is a nice change-up from barbecue and teriyaki marinades.
- Use leftover chicken from the grilled curry chicken or any other recipe to make this Curried Chicken Salad.
Other Bits and Bobs of Useful Things
Some of these are affiliate links, and I will earn a small commission off the sale of these products, but the price you are charged is not affected. You can see my full disclosure policy here.
- Today is National ‘Water a Flower Day’, recognizing the beginning of the season of caring for our plants (in the Northern Hemisphere anyway!) If you are not composting, your plants would love it if you started!
- Need some Container Garden Ideas?
- One of my all-time favorite computer tips is that you can undo mistakes simply with CTRL-Z. If you accidentally delete something, you can get it back with CTRL-Z! I know, I know. You are so very welcome.
- O.K., I need some advice. I bolded that because I REALLY need advice! What is the best soap scum remover for shower doors? We are getting ready to give our Master Bath a bit of a makeover, but the shower doors are staying. After 15 years, they are looking a little ‘tired’ and need some spiffying up. Please share with me your recommendations for the best soap scum remover. Many thanks in advance.
- Father’s Day is just around the corner. If you are looking for gift ideas for guys who like to spend time in the kitchen, check out these recommendations from my foodie brother.
- Need some summer book recommendations? Check out Modern Mrs. Darcy’s printable Summer Reading Guide.
- It is always fun to see what is trending on the blog…this weekend it seems that my dad’s Margarita Recipe was quite popular…And for good reason! If you like a fresh, not too sweet, Margarita, you need to tuck this recipe into your cocktail recipe binder.
- Cheddar Cheese Dog Treats...just because.
- I am knitting one of these Half-Linen Stitch Blankets with Faux Fur for one of Kate’s friends who is getting married next month!
- If you like the Half-Linen Stitch as much as I do (it’s a great stitch that lays flat!), try this purse! It continues to be my mom’s summer purse several years later. She loves that she can wash it by easily removing the leather straps
If you are in the market for a Kitchen-Aid Stand Mixer, mark your calendar for this Wednesday, June 1. I can’t imagine not having this workhorse in my kitchen. If you need a wedding gift this summer, this is a great deal and a welcome gift. Their stand mixers will be 33% off, plus you can get another 10% off if you sign up for their emails. Use code Kv25G0X
Well, my friends, let’s keep the faith that brighter days are ahead. I am going to spend the rest of the morning soaking up my daughter, before she and her menagerie head back north.
With warm hugs,