I’m so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.Lucy Maud Montgomery, Ann of Green Gables
My whole demeanor changes when I can turn off the A/C and throw open the windows. I crave the cool, fresh air that comes with fall.
We planted our fall/winter garden this weekend. We will be growing broccoli, broccoli rabe, spinach, kale, arugula, lettuce and sugar snap peas. Well, we planted most of our garden this weekend; we still can’t plant in the bed that has the tomatoes. The tomatoes are hanging on by a thread and Terry refuses to pull a plant if there is a hint that it might still produce a tomato, no matter how small. After much discussion, we’ve agreed to revisit the issue this upcoming weekend.
It’s a Giveaway!!
I’ve got a treat for subscribers of Nourish and Nestle today! The Brot Box, a US-Germany Artisan Bread Bakery, sent me a sample box of their baked treats and offered one reader a box of treats! Yes, I’m serious! Their artisan bread is crafted by German master bakers using all-natural ingredients and no chemical preservatives. Then, the bread is shipped partially baked and frozen, ready to pop in your oven for just fresh-from-the-oven goodness. They’ve also offered a 5% discount on all purchases made from the site with the coupon code NOURISHANDNESTLE.
If you are looking for a gift for someone who has everything, this is a great idea!
To enter the giveaway, pop on over to The Brot Box, and peruse their offering of Artisan Breads. Then, come back over to this post and tell me which baked delicacies you would love to show up at your front door. I will randomly choose one winner to receive a box of Brot Box baked treats. Make sure to leave your comment by Friday, October 6 at midnight, EST. This giveaway is open to U.S. residents only.
We enjoyed the Swiss Farmer’s Loaf last night with soup and salad and it was remarkably delicious, with a soft, flavorful interior and a hearty, crunchy crust.
New on the Blog
- Simple and uncomplicated, this Chicken Vegetable Soup is one of those meals that soothe the soul and warm the heart. We render a bit of chicken fat from cooking skin-on chicken breasts and then use that fat to saute the onions and celery. Just that little bit of chicken fat adds some lovely flavor to the soup. We enjoyed this soup last night with The Brot Box’s Swiss Farmer’s Loaf and a simple spinach salad drizzled with this Curry Dressing. It was perfectly simple and perfectly delicious.
- At the risk of offending mum lovers everywhere, I’m just not a fan. To that end, I’ve compiled a list of fall (and a few winter, depending on where you live) blooming flowers. So, if you need some fall and winter garden inspiration, check out this post on Fall-Blooming Flowers, That Aren’t Mums!
From the Knit Studio
- This sweet Grace Baby Blanket was named for its recipient, the granddaughter of my oldest friend. It’s replete with rosebuds and ruffles, just perfect for a little girl. I used a chunky yarn, which made this a relatively quick knit.
- Get started on knitting some hats and you’ll have a passel of knit bonnets just in time for the cool weather and holiday gifting!
- Need a tutorial or refresher on knitting in the round? I’ve got you covered. This post talks about knitting in the round with circular needles and this post shows how to knit in the round with double pointed needles.
From the Kitchen
- It’s officially soup season in the Northern Hemisphere! This White Bean and Ham Soup is not the thick and creamy soup you might be familiar with, but a lighter, brothier soup.
- Zucchini Air Fries are officially our favorite way to enjoy the zucchini from our garden.
- Chai-spiced pumpkin donuts with chai glaze. The perfect breakfast, dessert, or snack treat for the fall.
- I don’t know why I think this appetizer is particularly suited to the fall! It would be just as good in the summer. But, be that as it may, this Rosemary Goat Cheese with Ginger Preserves is one of my favorite fall and winter appetizers.
- If you love carrot cake and would love to eat it for breakfast except for the little person who sits on your shoulder and says, ‘You really shouldn’t eat cake for breakfast,’ then I have a treat for you! This carrot bread is made with less sugar, letting apples contribute some sweetness. So, now you CAN have your carrot cake and eat it too!
- But, if you really want a cake, then this Yogurt Plum Cake is really yummy. Yogurt imparts a gentle ‘tang’ and helps create a lofty, tender, and moist cake, while butter adds trademark creaminess. Toss in a bite or two of sweet plums, and you have a winner.
From the Arts + Crafts Studio
- Who says Macramé is just for yarn? We are equal opportunity crafters around here, so thin, very flexible wire gets the opportunity to macramé itself into these lovely votive holders adorned with sparkly beads.
- These needle-felted pumpkins are just perfect for welcoming fall to your home. Turn them into a wreath or pile them in a bow.
In the Garden
- Do you need a cold frame this winter? Head to your local salvage store, grab a few old windows, and then come back to see how to make this cold frame.
Around the Home
- Sewing Flange Edge Pillow Shams really isn’t hard…I’ll walk you through it!
A Few Fun Finds
Some of these are affiliate links, and I will earn a small commission off the sale of these products, but the price you are charged is not affected. You can see my full disclosure policy here.
- This is a pretty Autumn wreath, well-priced. Just make sure to pull the branches out a bit when you get it so that it is the full size.
- As I started buying more and more fruits and veggies, I needed a way to keep them fresher longer. These Blu Apple Produce Savers have more than paid for themselves in keeping our produce fresher.
- This plate rack! I’m still trying to figure out where I could hang one in our kitchen
- Kitchenaid Professional Stand Mixer is on a great sale through October 7 at Target. Need to join the free Target Circle loyalty program to save $170 on the mixer! That’s a GREAT price.
YOU MADE IT TO THE END! If you missed last week, you can pop over here to read it.
Don’t forget to enter the drawing for The Brot Box giveaway! Just pop over to their site, peruse their offerings of Artisan bread, and come back to tell me your favorites. I can’t wait to tell the winner…they will be beyond tickled when that box of goodies arrives at their door!