Happiest of Happy Mondays!
I hope you had a great week and weekend!
I sure did. Saturday was my birthday, and I was treated like the Princess I am! (No, I’m not telling you how old I am!) Hubby did all the yardwork alone, leaving me to sit indoors, knit, and watch silly TV!
When asked earlier the week before what I wanted to do for a special birthday dinner, I couldn’t think of a local restaurant calling me, so I said I’d just like to order pizza from my favorite local pizza place. Both my husband and mom said, ‘You can’t have delivery pizza for your birthday dinner!’, to which I replied, ‘It’s my birthday, and I get to choose!’ (I’m still not telling you how old I am!)
So it was pizza until a few days before when I remembered a little local place that we hadn’t been to since before COVID. So, on Saturday, Mom, Terry, some friends, and I went out to dinner. While waiting for our table, someone came up from behind and embraced me in a BIG hug. I turned to find our daughter, who had driven 2 hours to surprise me! She had told me she’d love to come home but had a test on Monday, so couldn’t….and I believed her. It was wonderful to be surrounded and celebrated by friends and family!
All in all, it was a perfectly wonderful and special day, and I did feel like the Princess I believe I am!
O.K., fine, I’ll tell you how old I am! I am a young (25×3) – (4.5×2) + (16+4) – (5×5). But honestly, I believe the number of years you’ve been on the earth is not always the best indicator of your age. So many factors can influence that number, up or down.
Word of the Day…
I ran across this word yesterday and felt compelled to share it with you.
Psithurism [ sith-yuh-riz-uhm ] – a rustling or whispering sound, like that made from leaves blowing in the wind.
New on the Blog
Do you have a few staple recipes for which you keep the ingredients on hand, just in case? Over the past couple of years, this White Chicken Chili has become one of those staple dinners. It easily accommodates leftover chicken, ground turkey, ground chicken, chicken breasts, or thighs. I like white beans, but you can easily use what you have on hand.
Some of these links may be affiliate links and I may earn a small commission off of the sale of these products to help defray the costs of operating this site, but the price you are charged is not affected. You can see my full disclosure policy here.
From the Kitchen
- Speaking of staple dinners, this recipe for Brothy Beans is another one that is on regular rotation. In fact, I made a pot of them just this past week. We think it is the perfect pair to garden tomatoes, basil, and fresh mozzarella with olive oil. I can’t explain it, but some magic happens in the oven when water, Cannellini beans, olive oil, and garlic are combined and baked. I always keep a 5# bag of these Organic Cannellini Beans in the fridge. Forty dollars may seem like a lot for a bag of beans, but we get at least two meals for two of us, plus a lunch or two from one pound of beans. So, that’s right around two dollars per person per meal!
- While we are talking budget-friendly recipes, here’s a list of 23 Healthy Meals That Are Also Easy on Your Wallet.
- Towards this time of the year, I must wrestle a few green tomatoes from the garden to make this Shrimp and Grits recipe! If you love good Shrimp and Grits, give this one a try. And if you haven’t tried Shrimp and Grits before, this is a great place to start!
- I’ve always loved Pecan Sandies! This is a great Pecan Sandies recipe. If you feel a little ‘extra,’ you can dip them in chocolate, but it isn’t necessary!
From the Knit and Crochet Studio
A Passel of Knit or Crochet Projects for Use in the Kitchen
First things first, I’ve always considered dishcloths and washcloths to be the same thing, but I know not everyone does. That being said, I don’t (knowingly) use a dishcloth on my face.
In doing some research, seems there are two camps of people, those like me and those who feel that there is a difference, primarily in size. Some folks want their dishcloths smaller than washcloths. Seems 8″ square is a common dishcloth size while a washcloth is more in the 10″ – 12″ range.
Most of my dishcloth/washcloth patterns are between 10″ and 12″. At some point, I’ll go in and provide cast-on instructions if you specifically want to knit a smaller cloth. But if want to knit smaller cloths for the kitchen, use this guide to help you figure out the cast-on for your desired size.
You will want to stick with cotton yarn for your kitchen projects. For dishcloths, it holds up well to repeated washings, and for your potholder and trivets, it won’t melt like yarn with polyester or nylon will. You could use wool, but it won’t wash as well.
- A simple garter stitch pattern is perfect for kitchen use.
- This washcloth is a variation of the garter stitch theme. It is knit on the diagonal, but don’t let that intimidate you! It’s easy and fun. I was given the washcloth and a pattern by a friend and shared it using that friend’s name, but it is also known as Grandma’s washcloth.
- And this Moss Stitch washcloth would also hold up to regular use in the kitchen.
- The Crochet Thermal Stitch was made for potholders! It produces a double-thick fabric that is really quite lovely.
From the Arts + Crafts Room
- Still in the kitchen! Grab some linen and pull threads to make a casual and lovely fringe-edge tablecloth and/or napkins.
- Not into knitting or crochet? You can still make a trivet! I provide a pattern and video showing how to make this Flat Turk’s Head Trivet!
In the Home
- Tips for buying groceries on a budget
- Organizing table linens
- Have some travel coming up? Check these tips for organized travel and the free printable checklists (one for him and one for her)!
A Few Fun Finds
- This single serve Keurig is 25% off today; I can’t figure out how long it will be on sale.
- Cute for your fall front door…there were several fun sayings. Like the “S’up Witches?” too!
- But then…for my dog lovers out there!
Well friends, seems I say this every week! I have so many projects and articles that are in process or need to be written up, so that will be my focus this week! At least I’m consistent.
I wish for you a wonderful week filled with all the things you need and a few pleasant little surprises!