A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.James Keller
This quote is included in a calendar that a friend gave to me. Do you know how you ‘look’ at something every day but really don’t see it? I don’t know how long it took me actually to read it, but once I did, it stuck with me.
And to take that analogy of the quote a bit further, each time a candle lights another candle, the room gets brighter. My image is that of our church on Christmas eve when all the lights are turned off, and the candles provide the only light.
The flame from one of the candles on the Advent wreath ends up being shared with every candle the congregation members hold, slowly lighting the chapel with its glow.
The quote really does evoke a lovely image, doesn’t it?
Well, we concluded our Week of Work last week, crossing off everything on the original list and even adding a few as we went along.
We started the week in our Master Closest. If you remember, my goal was to get Terry to go through his T-shirts and discard those that he never wears. Well, after much prompting, he did go through them and discarded exactly ZERO! At least they are in nice, straight stacks now, though.
I, on the other hand, took two BIG bags of clothing to both Goodwill and the local consignment store. We did a little rearranging on my side of the closet, and it looks so organized! I am at the point where I go in the closet just to admire how great it looks. I am slowly whittling my wardrobe down to a bit of a capsule wardrobe.
Some of these are affiliate links, and I will earn a small commission off the sale of these products, but the price you are charged is not affected. You can see my full disclosure policy here.
For women ‘of a certain age’, a recent study has found that prunes have a chemical composition that helps prevent or delay bone loss/osteoporosis!
new on the blog
- Last week we shared a recipe for Apple Spice Donut Holes, but if you purchased a donut hole pan, you’ll want more than one recipe! So, here’s another one for Pumpkin Spice Donut Holes! You are welcome!
- With the baking season upon us, I gathered a plethora of helpful tips and tricks to make your cookie baking more efficient. Many of these tips will also help you produce even more tasty and attractive baked goods. Check out all the baking tips for the best cookies here.
more baking and kitchen tips
- Tips for making the best pie crust.
- I refer to this printable measuring equivalents/conversion chart multiple times a week! Make sure to nab your free printable here or in the library.
- How to rescue rusted cast iron and how to keep it in good shape.
- How to restore an old wood cutting board.
- How to make Spiced Madeleines!
fun diy projects
- Decorative wood bead tassels
- Need some knit blanket patterns? Here are all my free blanket patterns in one place.
- I’ve got this Nailhead Trim bulletin board in my office, chock-full of the Christmas cards we’ve sent over the years. It’s a nice glimpse into how my children have grown!
- Looking for a unique handmade gift? These wire macrame votive holders are really lovely!
My kitchen cupboards look amazing now & started my sewing studio, excited to get that all streamlined & more efficient! thanks for the great tips!Merrilee
- Susanne is knitting dishcloths and washcloths for her friends.
Hi Lynn ..Thankyou for your dishcloth patterns. I was looking for easy knitting project to inspire me back to do some knitting. Not only do they look good but they are so nice to use. Now knitting them for my friends!
Always look forward to your weekly email.Susanne
random bits and bobs
- If you are ambivalent as to the color, you could score a 10-ounce YETI Rambler for $15 (50% savings)
- It was the daily deal yesterday, but the prices are still reduced today…if you are or have a dog lover in your world, these Jack Rogers flats are 40% off. Plus, if you sign up for the mailing list, you get another 15% off. I was able to purchase a pair with both of these discounts yesterday. They have several breeds (Golden Retriever, Yellow Lab, Black Lab, Golden Doodle, Dachsund, Corgi…maybe more)
Okey Doke, my friends
I’m working on a couple of knitting projects that I’m anxious to get to you asap, so I’ll be watching Becoming Elizabeth (think I’m on the last episode, though! 😮) and furiously knitting today.
Wishing you a fantastic week!